Patient communication is the core of every successful dental practice. Today, most practice management systems come standard with basic patient communication functionality. However, Sesame elevates patient communication to an entirely new level, making it easier and more effective than ever.
So whether you’re new to the idea of e-communication or if you’re unsure whether you are fully maximizing the capability of your current system, here are 7 features to look for in patient communication software:
- Automated appointment reminders: Patient communication software can automate appointment reminders on a daily, weekly or monthly basis, depending on the product. Some, like Dental Sesame and Ortho Sesame, allow the patient to choose their preferred communication method (text, email, phone call), making it easier than ever to confirm appointments and frees up your front desk to focus on other tasks.
- Missed appointment notifications: Imagine filling your schedule even when your team isn’t in the office. Patient communication software notifies patients immediately when they’ve missed their appointment, and allows them to reschedule from the convenience of their smartphone or computer.
- Collections follow up: 50% of patients will pay within 48 hours of receiving a past due reminder email, improving your collections while reducing the need for your staff to spend the time following up.
- Online bill pay: Make it easy for patients to pay you. Online bill pay allows patients to remit payment at a time that’s convenient for them, such as at the end of their work day or after the kids are asleep – times which don’t necessarily coincide with your office hours.
- Email blasts: Much of the software on the market today allows for large group emails to be automated, but it’s up to the dentist and team to collect and maintain the email contact list. Ask patients at every check-in to verify their email addresses. Then use your email list to automatically send the practice newsletter, personalized birthday greetings, even benefit reminders at the end of the year.
- Patient portal: 74% of patients say that having anytime online access to information makes them more likely to stay with their doctor. A portal gives patients access to new patient intake forms before they get to the practice, as well as check outstanding balances or see upcoming appointments.
- Post-appointment surveys: Get patient feedback while their appointment is still fresh in their mind. Patient communication software can automate a survey process, and Sesame’s products take it a step further – they will feed the patient’s testimonials directly into your Healthgrades profile, boosting your online reputation without ever having to verbally ask the patient for a review.
Today, there’s no shortage of opportunities to stay in contact between appointments. Patient communication software improves practice efficiency, production, and collections while enhancing the doctor-patient relationship. Can your practice afford not to use it?
by Naomi Cooper – President, Minoa Marketing & Chief Marketing Consultant, Pride Institute
Naomi Cooper is President & Founder of Minoa Marketing and Chief Marketing Consultant for Pride Institute. She is a respected dental marketing strategist, consultant, author, speaker and industry opinion leader. Naomi teaches Pride’s groundbreaking marketing courses and works with individual dentists to craft and implement a customized modern marketing plan. She also consults for leading companies across the dental industry, developing a cohesive marketing approach and creating momentum for their marketing efforts aimed at the dental profession and the dental consumer. Naomi holds a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA and a Certificate in Business Management. She can be reached via email at email@example.com, and she blogs regularly at www.minoamarketing.com. For regular updates from Naomi, including dental marketing & social media tips & tricks, follow her on Twitter or “Like” Naomi Cooper – Minoa Marketing on Facebook at www.fb.com/minoamarketing.